Teaching from Pastor Jeremy on what scripture says about God’s truths in the Bible, and homosexuality.
Watch the sermon in HD Quality.
GOD’S truth MY truth
“Homosexuality” (Judges 19-21)
Pastor Jeremy Helmuth
March 15-17, 2013
When CIVILIZATIONS fall
Here are 4 examples of past civilizations that have glorified homosexual behavior. Each of these cultures experienced God’s judgment:
- Sodom and Gomorrah (destroyed ca. 2075 B.C.)
- Gibeah in Benjamin (destroyed ca. 1300 B.C.)
- Greek Empire (became a Roman province by 146 B.C.)
- Roman Empire (last emperor was in 476 A.D.)
LIVING in the midst of HOMOSEXUAL BEHAVIOR
Christians can respond to homosexual behavior several different ways,
but only one way is Christ-like:
- Fear and avoidance
- Love (without truth)
- Truth in love
a WARNING from GOD’S WORD
Homosexual behavior is a sign that a culture has rejected God’s purpose
for them, and the only way to avoid judgment is to repent.
Discussion Questions (Personal Study)
1. Compare the United States with the other civilizations. Have we also glorified homosexual behavior? Is homosexuality as rampant in certain U.S. cities as it was in Gibeah? Is judgment on the horizon?
2. Both the OT and the NT clearly condemn the sin of homosexuality. Read: Genesis 19:5; Judges 19:22; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 1 Timothy 1:9-10. Remember this principle: If you can read the passage literally, then read it literally.
3. There are 4 verses that help us find a correct view of how we should live in the world, but not be of the world. When we read through all of these verses, how should we then live?
- Jesus’ prayer isn’t that we are taken out of the world, but that we’re protected from the evil one. (John 17:15-16).
- Jesus sends us out like sheep among wolves, so be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves (Matthew 10:16).
- Don’t love the world or anything in the world (1 John 2:15).
- God loves the world’s people and so should we (1 John 2:15).
4. Read 2 Timothy 4:1-5. Study the different words in this passage. In what ways does this speak to us today?
Applying the Bible
5. How can you teach your children and grandchildren that homosexuality is wrong and at the same time help them show love to people who commit this sin?
6. If you have a friend who is gay, how can you show him or her love and at the same time stand up for your biblical convictions?