Your Service Leads to Satisfaction
The MINISTRY of SERVICE
There is a phrase in 2 Corinthians 9:12 which states that we all have a “ministry of service” as Christians. But what exactly is a ministry of service? Both of these words give us a word picture which helps us realize what it means to serve.
- [ministry] waiting at a table
- [service] public work to benefit people
The SUPERNATURAL POWER of MINISTRY
Jesus came to serve us, not to be served (Matthew 20:28). He served us with His death on the cross for our sins so that we might experience eternal life. That kind of service has supernatural power. What kind of power is found in our own ministry of service?
- YOUR MINISTRY manifests the glory of God.
- YOUR MINISTRY confesses the gospel.
- YOUR MINISTRY overflows from the grace in you.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Who is the greatest servant in your life (past or present)? Why do you think this person is so generous in helping others?
2. Are you involved at Central Ministries? Why or why not?
3. Read through these passages which lists the spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:27-31; Romans 12:6-8; 1 Peter 4:10-11). Do you know what gift God has placed within you? Did you know that you feel most fulfilled and passionate in the area God has gifted you? If you have not realized your gift in an area of service, please consider contacting a pastor for guidance.
4. Study the various reasons serving is important (Hebrews 6:10; 9:14; Acts 26:7; Galatians 5:13; Romans 7:6; 12:11). Which of these verses impacted you the most?
5. Read John 12:26. God will honor those who serve Him. In what specific ways will a servant be honored?
Applying the Word to Life
6. “Serve God faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things He has done for you” (1 Samuel 12:24). Are you serving God with all your heart? When is the last time you have considered how much God has served you?
7. What is your tendency: to be served or to serve others? Ask God and a few close people in your life to share honestly with how much of a servant’s heart you have or lack.
8. What does it mean that the “greatest will be a servant” (Matthew 23:11)? This week serve someone in a way that just blows them away! Do something for them that stops them in their tracks and helps them praise our Savior, Jesus Christ.