Your Giving Leads to Joy
WHEN should we GIVE?
The #1 excuse of individuals who do not tithe: the timing is not right. We lie to ourselves when we say that we will start giving when we get out of debt, or when we have saved enough, or when we get a better job. The early Christians teach us an important principle about timing:
- Give generously in the good times and bad times.
WHY should we GIVE?
Christians have two main reasons to overflow with generosity. When we genuinely comprehend these two realities, we will never struggle with greediness again.
- When we grasp the enormity of God's grace to us, it motivates us to show generosity.
- To open up the floodgates of God’s riches to us.
HOW should we GIVE?
If we become rich, God’s purpose for us is to be generous. As God is pouring His blessing over our life, how should we then give?
- Give with a spirit of hilarious joy.
- Give like you cannot out give God.
- At the end of your life, your relationship with money will be summed up as: greedy or generous.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. What do you think about this statement: some people remain poor because they are stingy with their money; if these people would just become more generous God would then graciously bless them. Is this the principle of sowing and reaping? What does this look like for someone who lives in a part of the world with severe famine and political unrest? We must be careful with this, understanding God’s physical and spiritual blessings.
2. Read Psalm 112:1-5 and discuss the spiritual blessings of being a generous person. What blessings have you experienced?
3. Read Proverbs 22:9. What does this Proverb teach us? When is the last time you have helped out someone who is in need? Do you faithfully give to Central so that we can help out those who are in need through the Grace Fund?
4. Read Acts 20:35. Why is it better to give than to receive? How do you teach your children this truth at Christmas?
Applying the Word to Life
5. The Macedonian churches gave "even beyond their ability." Has that ever described you? Have you ever given beyond your ability to the point where you do not know how you are going to make it financially unless God intercedes?
6. Do you have the faith that God will always pay you back for your generosity? Do you believe that you can't out give God? In what ways does God return our generosity back to us?
7. What will you do this Christmas for someone else that will be so generous that it fills you up with hilarious joy?