Who is the Holy Spirit?
WHO is the HOLY SPIRIT?
The night before Jesus died, Jesus made a promise to His disciples that He would send the Holy Spirit to them. We can learn who the Holy Spirit is by learning how Jesus described this often overlooked member of the Trinity.
The Holy Spirit is God in the human heart.
The Holy Spirit is absolute truth.
How do we know if we have the Spirit of truth in us?
We will be hated by the world.
We will be convicted of sin.
The Holy Spirit is the ultimate guide.
How does the Holy Spirit guide us?
Reminds us of past teachings at the perfect time.
Points us to the glory of Jesus.
1. Have you ever prayed to the Holy Spirit? Why do you think Christians are more comfortable praying to the Father or to Jesus Christ?
2. Read John 3:5-8. What does it mean to be born of the Spirit? Share about your experience with being born of the Spirit.
3. Read Romans 8:2-6. Discuss the difference between walking in the flesh versus walking in the Spirit. How can we make sure we have our minds set on what the Spirit desires? Why wouldn’t everyone want to walk in the Spirit since it gives us life and peace?
4. 1 John 2:19-27. How does the anointing of the Holy Spirit help us discern what is true versus what is false? Why do some Christians have the ability to discern more clearly than other Christians? Could there be a connection between allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you (versus your heart) and being able to see what is right and wrong?
Applying the Bible
5. Be okay with the world hating you for what you believe in. Determine in your soul that you will stand for the truth no matter how much opposition you receive. Just make sure you sort through what “hills” are world dying on. Only battle over the things God would battle over.
6. Commit to being more aware this week of the Holy Spirit. Listen to the Holy Spirit as He gives you a verse to consider. Acknowledge that this truth comes from Him.
7. What is the Holy Spirit convicting you of right now? Sin? Taking a risk? Reaching out to someone? Do not avoid the Spirit’s voice!