When God Dwells with Us
The CURSE is REVERSED
In Revelation 21:3, we are told that when we are in heaven, God will live with us. What does that mean? How will things be different from life as we know it right now? God will reverse the curse that humans have brought upon themselves. Living with God means that everything and everyone will be physically healthy, morally pure, and emotionally encouraged.
- God will reverse the physical curse.
- God will reverse the moral curse.
- God will reverse the psychological curse.
As Christians, we are to desire that God’s kingdom come in our own life today. This process helps the cursed areas in our lives transform into a blessing to God, to others, and even to ourselves. How does this happen?
We find freedom from the curse in our relationship with God.
1. What will be one of the best aspects of heaven? Do you think you might be surprised by anything in heaven? Have you ever thought about how “earthy” heaven will be?
2. Even though this might not be up to you, what will be the first thing you want to do when you get to heaven? Obviously meeting God is at the top of everyone’s list, but what do you hope to experience first?
3. Read Romans 8:20-22; Ephesians 1:10; Colossians 1:16-20. In what ways is creation groaning right now? What does it mean that Jesus Christ will someday bring everything under His headship? Discuss what it will be like to experience a creation that has no curse.
4. Discuss the following unorthodox views about the afterlife and how the Bible teaches us about a genuine heaven and genuine hell:
- Atheism: life after death is unlikely (Psalm 14:1; 53:1).
- Universalism: we all go to heaven (John 14:6; Daniel 12:2).
- Postmortem Evangelism: we get a 2nd chance after death (Hebrews 9:27; Luke 16:23-24; 1 Peter 4:17-18).
- Annihilationism: Unbelievers are destroyed (Matthew 25:46; 2 Thessalonians 1:9; Revelation 20:10).
Applying the Bible
5. What can you do in order to help bring God’s kingdom to this earth? Are you too concerned about your own kingdom and building your own empire or own brand that you have forgotten about praying “Your kingdom come”?
6. If you need God to reverse your own curse, then go deeper with Him.