What is the Meaning to Life?
The SEARCH for PURPOSE
God places a desire inside each of us. According to Solomon in Ecclesiastes, we search for four false desires. In the search for these four false desires, we must realize what we are truly seeking after.
- We search for wealth.
- We search for love.
- We search for pleasure.
- We search for significance.
- Our search will never end until we find God.
God’s PURPOSE for YOU
When you find God, you then discover why you were placed on this planet. What is your purpose and how can you fulfill that purpose?
- Your purpose in life is to glorify God.
- Delight yourself in Christ.
- Bless others in Christ.
- My print is on this earth.
1. Out of the four false desires you have searched for in your life, which one was usually front and center? Have you ever attained the pinnacle of one of these desires and felt like Solomon: “Meaningless, meaningless, it is all meaningless!”
2. In Luke 12:15, we are told to “be on guard against all kinds of greed.” Are you aware of your tendency towards trying to accumulate an abundance in your life?
3. Read Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Matthew 22:34-40. Discuss how loving God always manifests itself into a deeper love for others. If you are having a hard time loving someone, is it because you are not loving God correctly?
4. Read 1 Peter 4:11. If our goal is to bring glory to God, then it appears whatever we “speak” or however we “serve”, we are doing it as God’s ambassador. Do you speak and live like that?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Can you genuinely state that you delight in God? How do you find delight in God? Do you delight in reading God’s word? Do you sense an excitement when God teaches you something new? Do you feel God’s love surround you when you are sitting still in His presence?
6. As you climbed to the top of the mountain of significance, hopefully you found God and discovered the wonderful gifts that God has given you (material blessings and spiritual talents). You can either use those gifts for personal gain or for God’s glory. How are you using these gifts? What step can you take this week to bless someone with your gift?