What does God Require?
God’s “IDEAL REQUIREMENT”
The greatest commandment is to love God with your entire being. But what does that look like? If our goal in life is to love God, then it should be natural for us to desire to please God more than anything else. The prophet Micah presents three actions which please God.
- You act with justice.
- You love mercy.
- You walk humbly with God.
God’s “INITIAL REQUIREMENT”
Every one of us has failed in God’s ideal requirements. That is why we must understand what God’s initial requirement is for us. Since we have all fallen short of God’s standards, we need someone to save us from our sin:
- Believe in the saving power of Jesus Christ.
1. Which side of the spectrum do you normally find yourself on when it comes to justice and mercy? Are you quick to seek out justice, or are you someone who continually shows mercy as a first response? Why does humbly walking with God help us balance these virtues?
2. Read Ecclesiastes 3:17; Hebrews 10:30; Psalm 37:27-29; Romans 12:19; Isaiah 30:18-19; Isaiah 61:8-9. Discuss the timing of God’s justice. God is characteristically slow to anger and wrath, but there does come a time when His mercy expires. Does the compassion of God make too many people think that they will never be judged?
3. Read Proverbs 21:15. Why does justice bring joy to the righteous and yet terror to those who do evil?
4. Matthew 5:38-39. How do you seek after justice and yet at the same time allow someone to strike you on the other cheek? How do you reconcile these verses with the theme of justice in the Bible?
5. Read 2 Samuel 24:14; Psalm 86:5; 145:9; Luke 6:36; Ephesians 2:4; Titus 3:5; Hebrews 4:16; 1 Peter 1:3. Focus on how merciful our God has been to each of us. Take time to give thanks for His mercy!
Applying the Bible
6. If you are too “justice-oriented”, then what will you do this week to show mercy to someone? If you are too “mercy-oriented”, then what will you do this week to make sure justice prevails?
7. When is the last time you have allowed God to just wreck your heart because you were overwhelmed with His holy presence?