Truth, Love and Integrity
2 Timothy 1:1-12
The SPIRIT-LED Life
What does the world need from today’s Christian? There are three aspects of our lives which are on a daily display for others to see.
- Show the power of God’s truth.
- Show the love of God’s grace.
- Show the self-discipline of holy living.
TRUTH, LOVE and INTEGRITY
Truth, love and integrity are vital to our personal testimony. When any of these three aspects are lacking, this is what happens:
- Truth without love callouses the heart.
- Love without truth excuses the sin.
- Judging without integrity smells like hypocrisy.
1. Have you ever blown an opportunity to share your testimony with a non-Christian because you messed up with them either verbally or through an inconsiderate action? How have you learned from this?
2. Read Matthew 7:1-5. Should our English translations translate the word “condemn” instead of “judge” in this passage? As Pastor Jeremy stated, everyone judges, it is a daily activity. Jesus’ point is that we should not be hypocrites when we do judge. Discuss the difference in “condemning” versus “judging.”
3. Read about self-discipline and holy living (Titus 2:12; 1 Peter 4:7; 1 Corinthians 9:27; 11:31-32; Psalm 141:3; James 3:2-12; Romans 6:12-13; 8:13; Ephesians 4:22; Colossians 3:5; 1 Timothy 4:8; Daniel 1:8; Matthew 5:29). What are the reasons God wants us to live godly lives and what are some ways we can succeed in becoming self-controlled?
4. Read 2 Corinthians 10:5 and Romans 12:2. What does it mean to take every thought captive? Is there a thought you need to turn over to the Holy Spirit so that your mind can be open to God’s leading?
Applying the Bible
5. The gospel has the power to save everyone who believes (Romans 1:16). Do you know this power? When is the last time you have tapped into the power of God’s truth as you have presented it to someone else? Step out in faith this week and use the power of God!
6. Do you need to move down the continuum past the “just loving them” section and confront someone about his or her lifestyle? If not now, then when? How long did Jesus wait until He confronted people? Will you set up a meeting this week with someone who needs corrected?