To Live is Christ
LIVING for CHRIST produces JOY
For Christians, there are two ways you can live your life: selfishly catering to all your own desires so that you can be comfortable, or surrendering your will to Christ so that your focus is on advancing God’s work on this earth. One produces frustration because of wrong expectations, while the other produces lasting joy. When you live for Christ:
- Problems are opportunities for Christ to be glorified.
- You spread the gospel, not gossip.
- You stand firm in the face of opposition.
The FIRST STEP of STARTING to Live for Christ
If you desire to live for Christ, then you must ask God to begin working in your heart. Pray this prayer so that you can experience joy! God, help me…
Change from a selfish heart to a Christ-like heart.
1. Discuss why living for yourself usually brings frustration into your life, while focusing on living for Christ fills your heart with joy.
2. What does the Bible say about sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ? Read Matthew 28:19-20; 24:15; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; 8:5; Psalm 96:3; Romans 10:12-15; Revelation 14:6-7.
3. Read the story about Philip and his obedience to the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:4-40. He was zealous about spreading the good news of Jesus Christ. God gave him several divine appointments so that the people he met would hear about how to receive eternal life. When is the last time you have “proclaimed the word wherever you go” (Acts 8:4)? Remember that God uses ordinary people to spread His gospel.
4. What are the things that we should focus on when we face opposition (Romans 8:28-39)?
5. In Ephesians 6:10-18, we are told that we will be able to stand firm against Satan’s schemes when we put on the full armor of God. Do you have some armor missing as you enter the battle every day? What is the hardest piece of armor for you to apply to your life?
Applying the Bible
6. When a problem arises in your life this week, will you pause and think about how it might be an opportunity to overcome the obstacle in such a way that will give God glory? What will you do in order to show God that you are viewing trials differently than you used to?
7. Ask God to bring someone to mind who needs to hear the message of Jesus. Then pray for the courage to share the gospel with him or her.