2 Timothy 4:1-5
PREACH the WORD
The Apostle Paul gives us some insight as to how we are supposed to preach the Bible. We are given five keys to remember when preaching:
- Correct the ignorant soul.
- Rebuke the blatant sinner.
- Encourage everyone to live abundantly.
- Be patient when people seem deaf and dumb.
- Reverently interpret and apply God’s word.
ITCH my TICKLISH Ears
We must beware of two main things in the church today:
- Beware of a teacher who only makes you feel good.
- Beware of slowly fading from truth into myth.
CENTRAL VALUES: We must be doctrinally pure and culturally relevant.
1. What are the elements of a Spirit-led sermon (i.e. uplifting; inspiring; knowledgeable; passionate; conviction; actions steps to change)? After hearing a sermon, what happens to you? Do you change anything about your thoughts or actions?
2. Read Matthew 3:8; 4:17; 21:32; Luke 5:31-32; 17:3; 24:46-48; Isaiah 30:15; Acts 3:19; 5:31; 11:18; 20:21; Romans 2:4-5; 2 Corinthians 7:9; Jeremiah 31:18; Revelation 2:5; 3:3. Discuss why repentance is important to God. How vital is it to our eternal salvation and the process of sanctification (i.e. becoming holy before God)?
3. The phrase “slow to anger” is used many times in Scripture to describe God (Numbers 14:18; Exodus 34:6; Nehemiah 9:16-17; Psalm 86:15; 103:8; 145:8; Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2; Nahum 1:3). Since God is patient with us, should we be patient with others who seem to really mess up too many times? Also, discuss how God might be patient with us, but He also gets our attention and when we are living in sin, there is an obvious distance between God and us.
4. Read Acts 28:17-29. Discuss this story and how some of the people believed and yet others did not believe. Talk about the words used to describe these types of people. What must we do when someone refuses to believe in the message of Jesus Christ?
Applying the Bible
5. Think about how hard it is to be doctrinally pure and yet culturally relevant. It is like showing truth and love to our society. Is there something you can do this week to exhibit this value?