This is How I Fight My Battles
2 Chronicles 20:1-30
When WE are SURROUNDED
Have you ever felt like you were being crushed by everything around you? You are perplexed at how you are going to solve the problem you find yourself in? You genuinely wonder if there is hope for a better tomorrow in your future? If this describes you, then you can relate to a king named Jehoshaphat who reigned in Judah almost 3000 years ago. The way this king handles being surrounded by his enemies gives us principles to live by when evil closes in on us.
- Fix your eyes on Jesus, not your unfixable problem.
- Stand still with Jesus, wait for Him to battle for you.
- Sing praise to Jesus, release the power of thanks.
- Where is your valley of praise?
Personal and Group Study
1. How many times have you been surrounded by what seemed to be an unfixable problem? Something that seemed too big to handle? How did you find your way through it? What would you do differently in the midst of the trial?
2. Study 2 Corinthians 4:7-18. Discuss how this “all-surpassing power” to overcome trials is from God and not from us. How can we carry around the death of Jesus in our life? How is death at work in us?
3. Read Psalm 46:1-11. In what ways is God your refuge and strength? Are you “still” daily so that you can hear God and know His voice better than the day before? Do you believe that God is with you every step of the way, no matter how difficult the journey becomes?
4. Mediate on these two passages in Colossians (2:6-7; 3:15-17). As we are rooted in Christ, we overflow with thankfulness. Also, the peace of Christ leads to gratefulness. Does this describe your life? Do you burst with complaints or thanks?
Applying the Bible
5. When you feel threatened by something or someone, what is your natural tendency? Fight, flight, or freeze? How can you overcome your tendency and instead use your eyes, your feet, and your mouth? If you are in the midst of a problem right now, what can you do to look to Jesus and stand with Him as you face the issue together with your Savior?
6. If you are dealing with something, find a worship song that can be your anthem. Memorize it. Play it on repeat. Sing loudly to God. And watch Jesus heal your heart.