The Spirit of Freedom
2 CORINTHIANS 3:7-18
Many people falsely believe that they can find freedom in doing whatever they want. Others don’t even consider freedom as something to be grasped because they think that religion is about rules. God gives us another option:
Freedom is found in the Holy Spirit.
How can we find freedom in the Holy Spirit?
Turning to the Spirit opens our eyes.
What happens when we allow the Spirit to rule over us?
Change occurs from the inside out.
What happens when we begin to change into Christ-likeness?
God’s glory is revealed through us.
Nonbelievers will turn to God.
1. Which extreme do you tend to live under: “no rules” or “only rules”? Did you go through a stage in your life when you did whatever you wanted? Did you ever belong to a family or a church where you were only accepted if you followed a strict set of man-made rules?
2. According to these passages, what happens when we are transformed as Christians (Romans 12:2; Psalm 51:10; Ezekiel 36:26; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 4:22-24; Colossians 1:21-22)?
3. What is the washing of regeneration and the renewing by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5)? How do you know when you’ve experienced it?
4. The only One who has the power to make the blind see is the Holy Spirit (Psalm 146:8; Isaiah 35:5; John 9:39; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 1:18; 5:8). What did God do to help you realize the truth of the gospel?
Applying the Bible
5. Discuss this: “Transformational change doesn’t simply come through reading self-help books, getting advice from people or even setting goals. Change comes when you pray for the Holy Spirit to search you and help you see what is hidden inside you.” When is the last time you’ve asked the Holy Spirit to search you to your core?
6. If you have been a Christian for at least 5 years, think about the last 5 years and how you have changed in certain areas. Where have you changed in a positive way? Ask a trusted friend if you have changed.
7. How do you reflect God’s glory in your daily life? What are you doing right now to shine the light of Jesus Christ to others?