The Promise of PEACE for the SOUL
Are you WEARY and BURDENED?
Jesus promised everyone who would follow him that they would find rest for their soul. When Jesus asked them if they were weary and burdened down, he was not talking about being physically tired. What does weary and burdened mean spiritually?
- Are you weary through useless struggling?
- Are you burdened like an overloaded animal?
Finding REST for your SOUL
Jesus invites us to yoke up with Him. As we yoke ourselves with Him, we learn from Him as a teacher mentors a student. He is gentle and humble as a teacher, not harsh in demanding pharisaical perfection.
- Our soul finds rest in a relationship with Jesus, not by observing rules.
- Trade the yoke of slavery for the yoke of freedom.
1. Are you weary through useless struggling? Is there something in your daily walk with God that you are doing, but it is not helping your relationship grow with God?
2. Are you burdened like an overloaded animal? Do you need to free yourself from something that someone has placed upon you? It can be almost impossible to let go of unhealthy rules that have been passed down through generations.
3. God warns us about being unequally yoked with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14-18). How do you follow this command?
4. Read about entering God’s rest in Hebrews 4:1-11. How has the Sabbath-rest been transformed into a relationship with Jesus? What does it mean for you to rest from your work?
5. John prayed for loved ones to enjoy health and well-being for their soul (3 John 1:2). Who can you pray for right now?
6. Rest is found in the presence of God (Exodus 33:14). Have you been too busy to go into solitude in order to be quiet before God? In your quietness, do you read Scripture and pray?
Applying the Word to Life
7. How well have you been yoked up beside Jesus? Have you walked beside Him well, or do you try to get ahead of Him? What will you do to ensure that you are yoked with Jesus?
8. Carve out a time with Jesus everyday. When will you get alone and be quiet so that you can hear your teacher? In this prayer time, will you get rid of what is enslaving you?