The Promise of HOPE for the FUTURE
God’s PLAN for EVERYONE
Jeremiah 29:11 is one of the most misquoted verses in the Bible. What does it really mean that God has a plan to prosper us and protect us from harm? When we look at the prophet Jeremiah, we cannot say that God prospered him in the way Americans view the good life. So, what is the real meaning of this promise?
- God has a plan for everyone’s life.
- When we seek after God, He gives us:
- Hope for our future.
- Freedom from sin’s captivity.
1. The word “shalom” is one of the most comprehensive words in the Hebrew language. “Shalom” means peace, harmony, wholeness, completeness, tranquility. It can mean both hello and goodbye. Shalom is “the way things ought to be”. Do you have “shalom” in your life? Remember, no matter what your circumstances, you can have “shalom” in your life.
2. What does it mean to walk in the path of God and to know God’s plan for you and to live out God’s plan for you? Submit to God’s will (Pr. 3:5-6); be committed to God (Pr. 16:3); discernment (Pr. 14:12); guard your ways (Pr. 16:17); find God’s ultimate purpose (Pr. 19:21); righteous living (Pr. 4:18-19); honor God with every victory (Pr. 21:31).
3. Read these passages about how we are captives when we allow sin to rule over us: slave to sin (John 8:34); captive to sin (Acts 8:23); in the snare of the Devil (2 Timothy 2:26); slave of corruption (2 Peter 2:19). Are you captive to a sin right now? How can you be released from the sin?
4. Jesus came to set the captive free (Luke 4:18; Ephesians 4:7-10). How does Jesus set us free (John 8:36; Galatians 5:1)?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Do you have shalom in your life? Are you living in harmony with God? Do you feel whole and complete?
6. Hope is vital for us to live. If you are discouraged, take extra time this week to remind yourself of how good God has been to you. When the lies of Satan surround your ears, put the truth into your heart.