The Persecuted Church
The “FAITHFUL FOLLOWER” is one who:
- Proclaims Jesus as Savior and Lord.
- Is “sold out” to the Lord Jesus Christ and filled with the Holy Spirit!
- 1 Peter 4:7, “The end of all things is near, therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.”
The baptism PLEDGE of the faithful follower.
- It’s a “mark” on your life.
The PERSECUTION of the faithful follower. Revelation 2:8-11
- No church goes on without the watchful eye of Jesus!
- Jesus knew the Church at Smyrna and he knows about us!
- Afflictions, Poverty, Riches, Slander
- The message to Smyrna and The Church of Jesus.
- Do not be afraid, the devil will put you in prison (to test you).
- Be faithful even to the point of death.
The PROMISES to the faithful follower.
- He will give the “Crown of Life.”
- He who “overcomes” will not be hurt “at all” by the second death.
Personal and Group Study Guide
1. Share what you committed to at your baptism. How do you react to the pastor’s comment that the baptism pledge is “even unto death”? How have you grown spiritually since your water baptism? What stories have you encountered recently about Christians being persecuted or killed for their faith?
2. How does the discussion of “the end” affect you? Allow the Holy Spirit to speak through you for the benefit of everyone.
3. The end is near, what are some of the signs that it is near? Refer to Matthew 24:1-35. Refer to The Application Bible regarding these verses. What admonition is given in the remaining verses (36-51).
4. If time permits, there are two other texts that deserve attention, 2 Timothy 3:1-9 and 2 Peter 3
Application of the Word
5. What needs to happen in your life to be prepared to endure the coming end, if it happens in your life time? Also, what can you do to prepare those who follow you. Be specific. Select several scriptures from the Bible that encourage you to trust the Lord as the end comes.
6. Spend time in prayer as a group for this overwhelming subject as it relates to you, your family and the church of Jesus Christ. Intercede for the “Persecuted Church” worldwide.