The Mystery of Babylon
The PICTURE of PRIDE
How would you describe an arrogant person? “Babylon” has been a symbol of pride for centuries and God presents four traits of pride in chapters 17-18.
- Blatant disrespect of God and His desires.
- Strong demonic presence.
- Excessive luxury void of generosity.
- Boastful without mourning our own sin.
The PROMISE to those who have PRIDE
When God makes a promise, it will happen. Someday, those who live in rebellion against God will experience these consequences.
- Consumed by fire.
- Loss of wealth.
- Tortured with grief.
The PREVENTION of PRIDE
There is only one proven way to eliminate a prideful heart.
- Give glory to God.
1. Pride is one of those sins in which everyone else sees your sin except for you. That is why it is so important to have a trusted friend in your life to tell you the truth. Who is that person in your life whom you can trust that they will share the truth with you?
2. What does pride produce according to these passages (Proverbs 11:2; 13:10; 16:18; 29:23; Isaiah 2:11; Leviticus 26:19; Daniel 4:37)?
3. Read Proverbs 8:13. How does God feel about pride and arrogance?
4. Read about Hezekiah’s pride and what he did to turn God’s wrath away from him (2 Chronicles 32:24-33). What does this teach us about godly people and how they can sometimes be prideful? Has there been a time when you have had to repent because of the pride in your heart?
Applying the Bible
5. Do any of the pictures of pride describe you? If so, then will you repent? Are you disrespecting God in a particular area? Are you living in excessive luxury? Are you a boastful person? In your personal prayer time, ask God to break your heart so that you can change in this area. Mourn your sin and how you have hurt others.
6. This week, write down every time you see God working in your life. When something good happens to you or when you accomplish something successful, then make a note and thank God for the part He played. When someone compliments you, write down how you can give God glory because of this positive experience. See how long of a list you can make (do this on a pad of paper or on your phone).