The making of a godly Kid
The GOAL of PARENTHOOD
As a Christian parent, you have all kinds of hopes and dreams for your child. But have you ever thought about what your child will look like spiritually when he or she becomes an adult? This is the most important question you can ask: Who do I want my child to become? Here is the answer:
Have a fulfilling friendship with God.
The NECESSITIES of PARENTHOOD
How can you produce a kid who desires to have a friendship with God? What are the absolute necessities that you must do in order to give your child the best upbringing to become a fully dedicated follower of Jesus Christ?
- Be what you teach.
- Create a God-honoring environment.
- God is your priority.
- Live with integrity.
- Answer the “why” question.
1. What is the hardest part of parenting? Or…what is the hardest part of being a child? Out of these 5 necessities of being a parent, which do you think is the hardest to live out and why?
2. Read Genesis 19 (especially verses 20, 30-33). Discuss how the environment Lot allowed his daughters to live in affected their values. Do you need to change the environment your child lives in? Does this environment encourage or discourage godliness?
3. Read Proverbs 20:7. We are told that the children of a parent who lives with integrity is blessed. What are the blessings of someone who inherits a godly heritage? How does someone benefit from being in the lineage of righteous parents and grandparents?
4. Read Psalm 119:11. What are some ways that you have hidden the words of God into your heart? When is the last time you have repeated a Scripture so many times in your mind that you will never forget it? Also, discuss how certain verses come to your mind when you are in a crisis or a temptation.
Applying the Bible
5. If you are a parent, how much have you thought about what your child will be like when they are an adult? What are you doing now to instill the right values into your children? Who has the greater impact on your children: social media, their peers, TV, school, church, or YOU? What will you change in order to become a vital and godly influence?
6. Strive to daily learn something new about the Bible so that you can be prepared to answer the “why” questions with your children.