The Lies We Believe (Part 1)
2 Timothy 3:1-9
The TRUTH versus the LIE
We are presented with several words which are the opposite of how God wants us to live. These words represent the wisdom of the world. Know these counterfeit words well and you will see right through them.
- The LIE of Self-lover: “I deserve to be happy!”
- TRUTH: I will love others.
- The LIE of Money-lover: “Success is measured in wealth.”
- TRUTH: I will be generous.
- The LIE of Boaster: “I’m a big deal!”
- TRUTH: I will be grateful.
- The LIE of Arrogant: “Cockiness is confidence.”
- TRUTH: I will be humble.
- The LIE of Blasphemer: “I despise you God!”
- TRUTH: I will honor God.
1. While there is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy, our culture has placed it as our number one priority in life. Share an experience you have had with this mentality. How have you been affected by the lie of a self-lover.
2. According to God, what will happen to the arrogant and prideful (Isaiah 2:11,17-18; 5:15; 13:11; Jeremiah 50:31-32; Ezekiel 7:8-10; Daniel 5:20; Zechariah 10:11)? Discuss why God hates this sin so much.
3. Read 2 Chronicles 36:15-16. Discuss how these ancient people mocked the messengers of God, despised God’s words and scoffed at His prophets and how similar things are happening today.
4. The main ways to honor God: fear and reverence (Psalm 33:8); singing praises to God (Psalm 138:5); servant-heartedness (Matthew 25: 31-45). Has our culture lost a fear and reverence for God? What does it mean to fear God?
Applying the Bible
5. Are you living a lie in any of the areas discussed in the sermon? What step will you take this week to start living the truth instead?
6. You might be frustrated that someone in your life is not making you happy. Talk with God sometime soon and decide that you will focus on making him or her happy instead of focusing on your own happiness. Pray for God to give you the strength and the perseverance you will need to totally give to someone and not expect anything in return.
7. How often do you pause and thank God for what you have received? Focus on daily praising God for special blessings in your life.