The Lies We Believe (Part 4)
2 Timothy 3:1-9
The TRUTH versus the LIE
We are presented with several words which are the opposite of how God wants us to live. These words represent the wisdom of the world.
- The LIE of being RECKLESS: “Follow your heart.”
- TRUTH: Follow the way of Jesus.
- The LIE of being PUFFED-UP: “I can’t see through the fog.”
- TRUTH: I will use the divine mirror.
- The LIE of the PLEASURE-LOVER: “Please entertain me.”
- TRUTH: I love to please God.
- The LIE of being RELIGIOUS: “Play the game of church.”
- TRUTH: Preach the power of the gospel.
1. Has there ever been a time in your life when you “played the game of church” or maybe you know someone who is playing the game right now instead of being an authentic follower of Jesus Christ?
2. Read 2 Corinthians 5:9; Ephesians 5:8-10; Colossians 1:10; 3:20; 1 Thessalonians 2:4; 4:1; 1 Timothy 5:4; Galatians 1:10; Psalm 51:16-17; Proverbs 11:20; 16:17; Romans 8:8; Philippians 4:18; Hebrews 13:16. What are the different ways in which we please God? Do you find joy when God is delighted with you? Discuss how the attribute of “pleasing God” is one of the surest signs of being a Christian.
3. Read Colossians 2:8. Discuss what deceptive philosophy and the basic principles of this world are today. Who are we supposed to depend upon and how do we depend upon Him?
Applying the Bible
4. What is one simple way that you can preach the gospel this week to someone? Make it a goal this week to present the power of God to someone who needs it. How will you accomplish this? Pray for God to take away your shame and fill you instead with courage.
5. Every day for the next 30 days, allow this verse to reside by your bed as you awaken every morning: “Deny yourself and take up your cross daily and follow Me” (Luke 9:23). Repeat this verse every morning and pray it during the day so that you can focus on following Jesus.
6. Do you need to transition from being entertained by church to being moved by the presence of God? What needs to change in your life so that you can experience the power and majesty of God?