The Lies We Believe (Part 3)
2 Timothy 3:1-9
The TRUTH versus the LIE
We are presented with several words which are the opposite of how God wants us to live. These words represent the wisdom of the world.
- The LIE of being a SLANDERER: “Satan is my spokesperson.”
- TRUTH: I will build up others.
- The LIE of the SELF-INDULGENT: “Never say NO to yourself.”
- TRUTH: Self-control creates contentment.
- The LIE of being BRUTAL: “I violently accomplish my purpose!”
- TRUTH: I will humbly pursue God’s purpose.
- The LIE of being a GOOD HATER: “There is no right or wrong.”
- TRUTH: I will love good and hate evil.
- The LIE of being TREACHEROUS: “I will betray you if I must.”
- TRUTH: I will be loyal.
1. Have you ever met anyone who seems to never say “No” to themselves? What kind of person are they? Have you seen them self-destruct? Did you ever go through a season in your life where you lived solely for yourself? How do you find self-control?
2. Read about the many instances of betrayal in the Bible: Delilah and Samson (Judges 16:18); Saul and David (1 Sam. 18:17); Gibeonites and Israel (Josh. 9:22); Joab and Abner (2 Sam. 3:27); David and Uriah (2 Sam. 11:15); Ahab and Naboth (1 Kings 21:8-10); Judas and Jesus (Mt. 26:21-23). What triggers treachery in the human heart?
3. Read Romans 12:9, 21. What does it mean to hate what is evil? What does it mean to cling to what is good? When you witness evil, does it make you hate what has happened? What do you hate? Who do you hate? What does it mean to live with righteous indignation?
4. In Ephesians 4:29, we are taught to guard our words to make sure that whatever we speak, we build others up. Think about your words this past week: did you use them to build other people up, or did you tear down people? Is there someone in particular you speak harshly with? Repent of this action right now and ask the Holy Spirit to produce wonderful words from your mouth.
Applying the Bible
5. God has a purpose for you. In order to pursue this purpose, you must first humble yourself. What action will you take this week to show God that you are ready to follow Him directly in all that you do?
6. Are you displaying the virtue of loyalty in your relationships? Ask the people around you if they feel safe around you.