The Lies We Believe (Part 2)
2 Timothy 3:1-9
The TRUTH versus the LIE
We are presented with several words which are the opposite of how God wants us to live. These words represent the wisdom of the world.
- The LIE of dishonoring parents: “I don’t have to respect you.”
- TRUTH: I will always show respect.
- The LIE of the ungrateful: “God doesn’t apply to me.”
- TRUTH: I need you, God.
- The LIE of the unholy: “Nothing is sacred.”
- TRUTH: I will uphold God’s standards.
- The LIE of the unloving: “Family doesn’t matter.”
- TRUTH: I will fight for my family.
- The LIE of a trucebreaker: “You better not cross me.”
- TRUTH: I will break the chains of revenge.
1. In what ways have you seen a change in how people treat their parents, teachers, coaches, service people, etc.? Discuss how some young people are respectful to those who are in authority over them, but also discuss why many people show such disrespect to any type of person who is their leader. What are the reasons for this?
2. Read these verses about revenge (Romans 12:17-19; Leviticus 19:18; Deuteronomy 32:35; Proverbs 20:22; 24:29; 25:21-22; Matthew 5:38-45; 1 Thessalonians 5:15; 1 Peter 3:9; Judges 15:1-8; 1 Samuel 24:12; Psalm 18:47). Are we ever to seek revenge? Why is it necessary to allow God to avenge evil instead of us?
3. Jesus tells us to not give something that is sacred to dogs (Matthew 7:6). Have you given something that is holy to God away? Has it pained your heart to see others throw away their holiness?
4. When the Israelites were trying to build the wall of Jerusalem, they were opposed by their enemies. Nehemiah tells them: “fight for your families” (Nehemiah 4:14). While this is talking about physical warfare, we can take a principle from this story. Enemies want to destroy your family, what are you doing to protect your family?
Applying the Bible
5. Do you monitor what your child watches? What plan will you implement this week so that your child is not taught the subtle lies often presented through the multi-media?
6. Do you wish the worst on someone right now? Are you thinking about revenge? What step can you take to break the chains of revenge?