The Letter to Pergamum
It appears that Satan has more control over certain geographical regions than other regions. We must be aware of Satan’s geographical strategy:
- Controls the hearts of evil leaders.
- Blocks our efforts with unforeseen circumstances.
- Deceives entire nations.
- Builds demonic strongholds.
What should we do when we are tempted to do evil by the Evil One?
Live out the power of Jesus’ name.
FALSE TEACHING in the CHURCH
How can we deal with all the false teaching around us?
Discern if a teaching is unbiblical.
Destroy the false teaching with a sword (God’s Word).
GIFTS given to the OVERCOMER
Jesus promises that true believers will be given:
Hidden manna (what does this mean?)
White stone with a new name on it (what does this mean?)
1. If Jesus would look at our modern church in the United States, would He find certain groups in churches that are teaching poison? What are some of these heresies? It sounds harsh to say that their teachings are not welcome in our midst, but why is it necessary?
2. Have you ever felt the presence of evil around you when you have entered a certain house, building, or region? Why do you think some places are more open to demonic strongholds?
3. Read the story of Balaam and Balak (Numbers 22-24). Note a few comparisons: Only the donkey (not Balaam) saw the angel, while only Balaam (not Balak) saw God’s blessing. The donkey saw the angel 3x and Balaam gave God’s blessing 3x. The donkey was beaten 3x and Balaam was asked to curse Israel 3x. Can you think of more? Also, read Numbers 25:1; 31:16. Balaam led away many people into idolatry and immorality. What (if any) is the responsibility of us to make sure our leaders do not fall into the trap of accepting false philosophies?
4. Read 1 Corinthians 6:12-13; 8:4-7. What are some modern day examples of a Christian having freedom, but deciding that it might not be beneficial to do something for the sake of other people?
Applying the Bible
5. Do you believe in the power of the name of Jesus Christ to break down any stronghold? Is there a place you need to pray over this week in order to help free it from Satan’s strategy?
6. What does the white stone and the name on it mean to you as a Christian? What can you do to believe God’s view of you that you are holy and that you are in a pure relationship with Jesus Christ?