The Letter to Laodicea
The LUKEWARM Church of AMERICA
An empty profession of faith makes God want to spit.
Jesus presents three negative attributes of the lukewarm:
- Financially-rich yet spiritually-poor.
- Medically-rich yet spiritually-blind.
- Product-rich yet spiritually-naked.
What three actions help us overcome the tendency to be lukewarm?
- Character building generosity.
- Righteous acts of service.
- Kingdom minded focus.
MOTIVATION to OVERCOME
What motivates us to do these three things?
The relationship we have with Jesus.
1. Have you ever drank or tasted something that made you want to spit it out of your mouth in disgust? Discuss the similarities of physical repulsion and spiritual repulsion.
2. Read 1 Timothy 6:17-19; Matthew 10:42; Acts 20:35; Luke 19:8; 2 Corinthians 9:7-13; Proverbs 11:24; 19:17; Deuteronomy 8:18. God gives us some amazing truths about the benefits of being generous. Discuss the difference between a hoarder, a stingy giver, and a generous person and which one finds the most happiness.
3. Read Mark 9:35; 10:45; Philippians 2:5-7; 2 Corinthians 4:5; Galatians 5:13; Colossians 3:23- 24. God desires that we have a servant’s heart. Serving is what will give us the white, clean clothing symbolizing righteousness. While we do not work for our salvation, it is vital that we do good works because we are rescued from sin. Talk about how important serving is in God’s eyes and how He sees true righteousness in our daily acts of kindness towards others.
4. Read Matthew 13. Jesus shares seven parables (stories) about His kingdom. As you read through each story, ask yourself: “What is the focus of God’s kingdom? How should I live in light of this kingdom?”
Applying the Bible
5. Do you believe that you are never beyond forgiveness? Do you believe that God loves you and wants to grow in relationship with you? What will you do to open up the door to your heart to Jesus?
6. If you have a sense that you are lukewarm, what step will you take to break out of your spiritual funk? Can you be generous? Will you randomly serve someone? Will you change your focus?