The Impact of GODLY RELATIONSHIPS
As IRON Sharpens IRON
A group of five women from Central Ministries’ staff will be answering the following questions with the purpose of sharping each of us so that God can do a great work in us (Proverbs 27:17; Philippians 2:13).
- How can I encourage my friend during ADVERSITY?
- Why are MENTORING relationships so important?
- What is the best cure for GOSSIP?
- How can I overcome JEALOUSY?
- What is God’s view of BEAUTY?
- How can I stay POSITIVE when I’m FRUSTRATED?
1. Do you have a good support system? Who would you turn to when things go bad? Who “sharpens” your life?
2. Gossip is one of the most destructive acts we can engage in. Read about the different forms of gossip and ask the Holy Spirit to make you more aware of what you are speaking: “dishing the dirt” (Prov. 20:19); “rumors” (Prov. 13:3); “behind the back” (Prov. 25:23); “not-really-joking-joke” (Prov. 21:24; 22:10); “planting bad seeds” (Prov. 16:28); “whispered innuendos” (Prov. 26:20); “slander” (Prov. 10:18).
3. Study this: “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ” (1 Cor. 11:1). Do you have “spiritual children” in your life that brings you joy when you see that they are walking in the truth because of your influence on them (3 John 1:4)?
4. Envy is an act of the sinful nature (Galatians 5:20), but love does not get jealous (1 Corinthians 13:4). How will you live the abundant life that Jesus has given you so that you do not allow Satan to steal your joy (John 10:10)?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Do you live in a “quarrelsome” home? Do you lose your temper quickly? What can you do to eliminate the negative atmosphere and create an encouraging environment?
6. Do you have someone older than you that is pouring their life into you? Do you have someone younger than you whom you are pouring into their life? What will you do this week to make this a reality? Ask God to help you picture the person who is to mentor you and whom you should mentor.