The Impact of Godly Hatred
Ancient BOUNDARY Stones
Proverbs 22:28 tells us not to move an ancient boundary stone. This means that there are truths we are to live by that should be passed down from generation to generation. In Proverbs 6:16-19, God hates 7 things. In Matthew 5:3-9, Jesus lists what God loves. There is a parallel contrast to these two lists. Satan tries to move the boundary stone so that we love what God hates and hate what God loves.
- Boundary Stone #1…HUMILITY
- Look up to God, not down on others.
- Boundary Stone #2…PEACE
- Speak out for peace, not selfish motives.
- Boundary Stone #3…RIGHTEOUSNESS
- Stand firm against sin, don’t justify evil.
- Boundary Stone #4…PURE HEART
- Hide God’s Word in your heart, not just your brain.
1. Out of the four boundary stones discussed, which one has moved the most in our society in your lifetime?
2. How good it is for people to live in unity (Psalm 133:1). What seems to cause division among Christians and what can we do to promote peace in all relationships (Rom. 16:17-18; 1 Cor. 1:10-13; Titus 3:9-11; Luke 11:17; Eph. 4:3-6)?
3. Philippians 2:3-9 teaches us about true humility. If humility places the interests of others above our own, ask yourself: “Do I focus on valuing others above my own desires? Or do I make sure that I get what I want?”
4. When is the last time you’ve stood against sin (Ephesians 5:11; Revelation 3:19)? Do you give in to the pressure of this world to accept certain sins as if they are normal?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Have you spread misinformation about someone? Have you been lying to cover up a sin? Have you stirred up strife in your relationships? Confess your sin now and then speak out to promote peace where it has been fractured.
6. How can you hide God’s word in your heart? Many people know verse after verse, but they still linger in sin. How can you move the power of the Bible into the core of your being?
7. Take this thought before the Lord this week: “Does God want me to be happy or holy?” We all know the answer, but does this mean there is something in our life that needs to change? And remember, in your holiness you will become happy.