The Impact of Godly Discipline
Don’t SPARE the ROD
We are told that we will spoil our children if we spare them the rod (Proverbs 13:24). In Psalm 23:4, we are told that the rod (and staff) comfort us. What is the biblical view of discipline?
- The goal of discipline is to make a disciple.
- Our society needs men who know how to show unrelenting toughness and sincere tenderness.
Making a WARM-HEARTED WARRIOR
If the goal of discipline is to make a disciple, and the two marks of a male disciple of Christ is toughness and tenderness, then what are the principles of discipline we should follow?
- Drive the folly out without caging his spirit.
- Discipline without love is abuse; love without discipline is anarchy.
- Discipline leads to wisdom and wisdom leads to joy.
1. What kind of home did you grow up in? Was your dad too harsh or too passive? How did that affect your view of fatherhood? If you are a man, then have you turned out like him, or are you the opposite of him?
2. One of the ten commandments tell us to “honor our Father” (Exodus 20:12). We are told to stand up in the presence of an elderly man (Leviticus 19:32). What are some specific ways that you can honor your dad? Even if he has passed away, is there a way you can honor his legacy, if he left a godly one?
3. God warns us about mocking our dads (Proverbs 30:17; 20:20; 13:1) or cursing them or striking them (Exodus 21:15-17). Have you ever done this to your dad? If so, have you repented of this sin and asked your dad for forgiveness?
Applying the Word to Life
4. As a wife, do you set your husband up to lead well, or have you created a culture where your husband could be described as a pushover, soft, emasculate, and dispassionate? What can you do to encourage your husband to be courageous, tough, determined, and one who takes initiative?
5. If you have a son, how can you drive out his foolishness, while not destroying his masculine spirit? How can you help him develop self-control without creating a wimp?
6. If you are a man, what step will you take to either increase your toughness or increase your tenderness?