THE FAMILY TABLE
We need to recover the discipline of “family fellowship” at the Table. In the fast paced, tech-saturated, attention-deficit disorder-world, the family needs to reestablish the art of a slow meal around a table with people they care about. Sharing tables is one of the most uniquely human things we do. A story of a table of memories, mottos, mashed potatoes with no modern conveniences.
GOD ESTABLISHED MARRIAGE AND THE FAMILY
In the beginning God created, Gen. 1, 2
PARENTS ESTABLISH THE FAMILY TABLE
God’s Biblical plan and function for the family
God’s purpose for the family:
- Dedicate children to the Lord.
- Raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, Eph. 6:4, Deut. 6:6-9.
Come to the family table to:
- Exchange conversation
- Encourage “put courage in” (Courage—to face bravely, to move forward fearlessly with confidence)
- Enjoy each other
- Execute family plans
- Energize with the Word, Worship and Prayer
- Exit, prepared for serving
Personal or Group Discussion
1. Share with the group or personally reminisce about your family table growing up. Be specific, share memories and challenges you experienced. What has been your experiences of fellowship at the table (family or others).
2. Share your personal experiences of receiving encouragement or discouragement from others.
3. Study the meaning (refer to sermon notes) and application of Encouragement. There is a great need to encourage each other in Book of Acts 4:32-37 (Google Barnabas) 9:31, 13:13-15, 14:22; 16:40, 20:1
4. Nuggets of Encouragement (memorize 2-3)
1 Thess. 5:11
Is. 40:31; 43:2; 41:10,13; 26:3
Ps. 46:1-3; 16:8; 118:14-16
1 Pet. 5:7
5. Give your ideas for a better Family Table:
6. How has the Holy Spirit spoken to you regarding improvement in your “family table?” List specific ways that you can deal with the competing elements for family time—the television, social media, and others.
7. Family devotional times are very important. Benefit from the group’s sharing: Things that work well and what improvements can be suggested?