The Ark of the Covenant
The CONENTS of the Ark of the Covenant
According to Hebrews 9:4, there were three items placed in the Ark of the Covenant. Each of these items were carefully chosen by God to teach us the importance of trusting Him.
- …He will provide.
- …He chooses leaders.
- …He gives us guidance.
HOLINESS in the Ark of the Covenant
The Ark of the Covenant represented the holy presence of God. Since many Christians don’t understand the concept of God’s holiness, it would be beneficial to study four truths about God and how He interacts with us.
- Holiness: God is perfect.
- Sin: Breaking God’s rules.
- Justice: Sin deserves death.
- Mercy: God forgiving our sin.
MERCY in the Ark of the Covenant
We deserve death, but God mercifully gives us eternal life.
1. Have Christians become too “carefree” with God’s holiness today? Why do few people focus on God’s separateness? Read the story of Aaron’s rod budding and discuss how the people were scared to die (Numbers 17:1-13). What is a healthy balance between respecting God’s perfect righteousness and having the confidence to approach His throne of grace (Hebrews 4:14- 16)?
2. What are God's rules when it comes to standing in His presence?
- Clean hands and a pure heart (Psalm 24:3- 4).
- Orderly worship service structure (1 Corinthians 14:40).
- Listen carefully and speak few words (Ecclesiastes 5:1-3).
- Humble yourself (James 4:10).
- Can you think of some others?
3. God spoke through the two cherubim on the mercy seat (Exodus 25:22; 30:6; Numbers 7:89). Since the mercy seat is now open to all Christians, what does it mean that God will speak with you? Have you taken part in this privilege? Or have you neglected this wonderful opportunity to grow in your relationship with God?
4. Do you see the gospel in the Ark of the Covenant? Discuss how God uses this “holy box” to point us towards Jesus Christ.
Applying the Bible
5. Have you thanked God for His mercy today? Here is a challenge: every day for the next 30 days, spend time telling God how much you appreciate His forgiveness; and once a day show mercy to someone.
6. Fill a box with items that remind you to trust God.