1 Peter 5
The UNPOPULAR idea of SUBMISSION
The word “submit” has been avoided in many vocabularies the last several decades for various reasons. But the Bible still presents the benefits of submission. What exactly is biblical submission and why is this act of obedience so important to God?
- Submission is placing yourself under an authority when you don’t agree with their opinion.
- Submission is not remaining in an abusive relationship.
How to SUBMIT
How can we find the strength to submit in a difficult situation? By following God’s word in 1 Peter 5, we will be given the supernatural power to submit even when it seems impossible in our own strength.
- Humble yourself under God’s mighty hand.
- Place your anxiety at the feet of the cross.
- Awaken to the fact that the devil wants to devour you.
- Stand firm in your faith.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Is there an area in your life where you have had a hard time submitting to an authority (government, marriage, church leaders, parents)? Why do you struggle with submitting?
2. Do you find yourself naturally submitting to God-given authorities, or are you skeptical towards them?
3. Jesus submitted to His Father in everything that He did (Matthew 26:39; John 5:19; 12:49-50). Looking at Jesus’ example, in what ways can we daily submit to God?
4. Read 1 Corinthians 15:27-28. Since everything will eventually be under Christ, what should you place at His feet today?
5. Read Leviticus 19:32. Have you consistently honored people who are older than you? Do you show them respect when you speak with them, even when you might disagree? Or, do you look down on older people and think that they’re out of touch? Why does God emphasize respecting the elderly?
Applying the Word to Life
6. Is there a situation right now that you need to give up control and hand it over to God and let Him take care of it? Study the stories of David and Saul (1 Samuel 24, 26). What can you learn from David’s submission? Do you need to show patience, kindness, and self-control towards an authority?
7. What will make you more aware of Satan’s schemes? Pray this prayer based on Psalm 146:8 every day this next week: “Jesus, give sight to my blindness so that I can see as you see; Jesus, as I bow down to You, lift me up to see from your perspective; Jesus, give me a passion to live righteously.”