STANDING FIRM “in Christ”
We are in a war whether or not we realize it. The daily battles we face in the midst of this war are so serious that we need the power of God if we want to live victoriously. What is our strategy?
- Stand strong against Satan’s schemes.
Putting on God’s ARMOR
The armor is defensive, except for the sword. We are never told to attack Satan, but to withstand or resist him. As you will see, each piece of armor fights against a particular scheme of Satan.
- Satan deceives, we hold up truth.
- Satan sets traps, we protect our hearts.
- Satan blocks the gospel, we spread peace.
- Satan accuses, we deflect the darts of doubt.
- Satan physically hurts, we rest in eternity.
- Satan distorts God’s Word, we live with opened Bibles.
1. When you have an issue with someone, are you aware of Satan’s schemes? You realize that your battle really isn’t with another human when you do this: refuse to be offended, try to understand the other person’s perspective, show love no matter what, and honor God with how you deal with others. How have you lived this out?
2. Study the invisible realm (Col 1:16). Can you think of an experience where you have had to wait on the Lord that could be compared to Daniel 10? Meditate on the actual words of Satan as he schemed against Job (Job 1:6-22). How did Job stand strong during his struggle against Satan’s schemes?
3. Read these passages about truth and integrity (Proverbs 11:3; 12:22; 21:3; 28:6; 1 Peter 3:16; 2 Corinthians 8:21; Hebrews 13:18; Psalm 41:11-12). What ways can you hold up truth in your own life, no matter how strong the temptation is to lie?
Applying the Bible
4. Would you describe yourself as someone who lives with your Bible open or closed? If it is closed most of the time, where will you find the wisdom you need to live a victorious life? Will you commit to opening your Bible every day for the next 30 days? When you have a question about something, will you try to look it up in the Bible first?
5. Do you have all of your armor on, or are you missing some equipment? What will you do to put all of the armor on? Is there a particular scheme of Satan’s where you are continually failing? What will you do this week to put on the right armor?