REST in GOD’S YES
ARE YOU WORN OUT by life’s OUGHT-TO’S and SHOULD-DO’S?
- God’s appointed and un-appointed things.
Today’s text, Exodus 18:17-27, A man of God who couldn’t say NO.
Lessons to learn from Jethro’s intervention with Moses.
Your SACRED YES:
Say YES to…
- Our God given rights
- Holy Spirit’s power
- Standing in the gap (prayer)
- Spouse and Family
- Serving—1 Corinthians 12, We all have gifts(s)
- To trusting, not worrying, Matthew 6
Say NO to…
- Sin, no to ungodliness, Titus 2:11-15
- The devil
- Being overloaded
GOD INVITES YOU to a REST!
Personal/Group Study and Discussion
1. Are you a person who says YES too quickly in situations, or do you quickly respond NO? Explain your answer. Where or how do you find “rest” in life? How does the promise of a heavenly dwelling affect your life right now? When was the last time you said no to some opportunity or situation?
2. There is a Sabbath rest, a salvation rest and a soul rest. How are these three similar and different? What part has God provided and what part do you have some responsibility for?
3. Study Hebrews 4:1-13. Refer to notes in an Application Bible, if available. Who can enter this place of rest? Describe the rest offered. Why does the writer mention the time of Moses? How did the Israelites miss the promised rest?
4. Matthew 11:28-30 offers a rest. In this passage there is a promised rest from the burden of sin and the law.
5. What robs you of rest today? How can you share this promised rest with others who labor for peace of mind and hope for the future? How can you find rest in a noisy, hectic world? Share practical ways to “be still and know that he is God?” How do you find rest in God’s presence?
6. Describe how your decision to follow Jesus brought you rest and an assurance of being saved.
7. In what areas of your life do you need to say no, so that you can be more fruitful?