Renew: Trust God by Resting
REST = TRUST
Every seventh year, God wanted His people to “rest” the land. They ceased from planting seed and harvesting the growth. God promised that He would abundantly provide for them if they obediently followed His command. What spiritual truth does the Sabbath year of rest teach us?
- When you rest, you trust God.
- Trust God, and you’ll be abundantly blessed.
- Trust God, and you’ll walk in the rhythm of life.
- Renew your heart daily, weekly, and seasonally.
1. When have you pushed the “start over” button? Have you ever felt like God has given you a new beginning when you have started a new job, school, church, relationship?
2. Read Matthew 9:16-17. What do the parables of the “garment” and “wineskin” teach us about a fresh start? Are you trying to fit the past into your future?
3. The Lord’s Prayer states: “Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors” (Matthew 6:12). If you are having a hard time forgiving someone, read through these verses and pray for them to be imbedded on your heart (Colossians 1:13-14; 3:13; Luke 17:3-4; Ephesians 1:7; 4:31-32; 1 John 1:9; Isaiah 43:25-26; Acts 3:19; Daniel 9:9; Psalm 103:12; Numbers 14:19-21; Micah 7:18-19; Mark 11:25; Matthew 26:28).
4. Read Deuteronomy 15:1-11. If you cancel someone’s debt, you will be blessed. This also seemed to be society’s way to prevent people from being poor. How can you apply this to your life and show generosity without a grudging heart?
Applying the Word to Life
5. When is the last time you have proclaimed your freedom? Do you need freedom from greed, from bitterness, from the guilt of a past sin? If God has truly wiped the slate clean with you, then how do you walk in freedom? Remember, generosity kills greed. Gentleness kills bitterness. Genuineness kills guilt.
6. The Son sets us free when we know the truth (John 8:32-36). What truth do you need to allow into your heart this week? Memorize one of the verses from #3 to hide it in your heart.