Redeem: Set Someone Free
The Captivity of Hardened Hearts
Through the tapestry of the story of redemption, God intertwines the stories of the 400 years of Egyptian slavery, 70 years of Babylonian captivity, and the parable of 490x of forgiveness. Discover how these stories teach us two spiritual truths about unforgiveness.
- Release, or your power is put in prison.
- Release, or the past will plague your heart.
When we forgive, we are most like God. Yet, to completely forgive is possibly the hardest act to engage in as a human. In order to totally forgive, we must see how God forgives sin. Following God’s example in Micah 7:19 and Hebrews 8:12 will give you supernatural healing.
- Proclaim the power to hurl the past into the ocean.
- Proclaim the power to heal from the details of the past.
1. Do you feel empowered to forgive people or do you feel imprisoned by continuing to hold onto bitterness from a hurtful situation? What does it mean to believe that you have the power to forgive? How is that different from feeling powerless to change your circumstances?
2. Just as Pharaoh struggled with various plagues because he would not release the Israelites, do you find yourself consumed with unforgiveness? Have you been plagued by: anger, nightmares, sickness, stained memories, gossip, self-righteousness, being critical, replaying the past in your mind? The first step to healing is acknowledging that these actions are a direct result of your hard heart. Confess this to the Lord. Discuss with the group if you are struggling with a plague.
3. Read Micah 7:18-20. What does it mean to pardon a sin? What does it mean to delight to show mercy?
4. Study what Jesus did with our sin: took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows; pierced for our transgressions; crushed for our iniquities (Isaiah 53:4-5). Discuss how by Jesus’ wounds we are healed. How can “wounds” heal? Following Jesus’ example, have your wounds ever healed anyone?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Do you need to hurl someone else’s sins into the ocean? Have you held onto them for too long? Let them wash away. What can you do symbolically to show God that you are releasing?
6. In your prayer time, daily proclaim God’s power to fill you with healing to erase the details of a hurt from your past.