Promises of Faith
Three PROMISES of FAITH
As we live out our life, we have a choice to make every day: we can either fall under the influence of the world (Satan), or we can stay close to God. We cannot do both. We must choose one or the other.
- Resist the devil and he will run from you.
- RESIST quarreling.
- RESIST praying with wrong motives.
- RESIST planning your future without God’s approval.
- Turn to God and He will run to you.
- CLEAN my HANDS: outward repentance.
- CLEAN my HEART: inner repentance.
- Humble yourself and God will elevate you.
1. How do you picture Satan? Do you picture him as a lion that wants to devour you or a dragon that can scorch you with fire? The image of these powerful creatures should sober us. How seriously do you take the schemes of Satan?
2. What hinders our prayers (Psalm 66:18-20; Matthew 6:5-6; 1 Peter 3:7; Proverbs 21:13; 28:19; Mark 11:25; James 1:5-7)?
3. Read these two passages about the brevity of human life (Psalm 39:5; 90:3-12). Discuss how quickly time passes and how we never know when our time on earth is over.
4. Satan is called the Father of lies (John 8:44). If you want to resist the devil, you must notice his lies. What are some lies the devil whispers to us in order to deceive us?
Applying the Word to Life
5. How do you live with the constant thought “if the Lord wills”? How does this phrase guide your decisions? Are you dependent upon God’s plan, or are you planning out your own life? How can you tell if you are living for God or yourself?
6. Since you are not guaranteed tomorrow, what are you doing with today? How will you simply live in the moment today? God wants you to be responsible for your future, but He also wants you to live with purpose as if there is no tomorrow.
7. Do you need to stop trying to advance your own agenda and instead humble yourself and allow God to promote you in His timing? What specific way can you humble yourself?