PRIDE in the HEART
Prideful people don’t realize that they are arrogant because they are under the illusion that they are the most important person on the planet and they will do whatever they can to be happy. The greatest danger of being prideful:
- Arrogant people are oblivious to their own self-destruction.
The CONSEQUENCES of PRIDE
God is not subtle about what happens to a person who is prideful. He will humble those who have a heart full of pride. God states that you will lose four things if you do not deal with your own arrogance:
- You will lose God’s blessing.
- You will lose your prestige.
- You will lose your fortune.
- You will lose your friends.
Memorize this verse:
God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Proverbs 3:34; James
1. When you think about an arrogant person, what main characteristics come to mind? Discuss the more subtle traits of a prideful person that often are overlooked because they are hidden in the heart.
2. Read Proverbs 3:34 and James 4:6-10. How does God feel about the proud? What does He give to the humble? What must we do in order to fight against the arrogance in our hearts?
3. Read Proverbs 11:12; 13:10; 16:5,18-19; 18:12; 21:24; 26:12; 27:2; 29:23. God is consistently comparing pride and humility. Discuss the differences in each of these polar opposites.
Applying the Bible
4. Pastor Jeremy presented “The Pride Test” in his sermon. Please take time to think through the following 12 statements:
I say and do things to get ATTENTION. I DOMINATE conversations.
I have a hard time being TOLD what to do. I am quick to CRITICIZE.
I INTERRUPT others frequently. I feel SUPERIOR to others.
I rarely ADMIT when I am wrong. I fish for COMPLIMENTS.
I am hard on people who SERVE me. I forget to be THANKFUL.
I do not SYMPATHIZE with the hurting.
I can go a day without thinking about GOD.
5. How will you be more aware of the pride in your heart this week? If you struggle with one of these statements, then focus on mastering it daily.
6. Do you need to call out to God in humility so that He will shower you with His grace? Who can you pray for this week to humble themselves so that they can avoid destruction and experience God’s redeeming grace?