Pride’s Ugly Face
The CHARACTERISTICS of PRIDE
Pride looks ugly. When people start to see the real side of arrogant people, they begin to see the unpleasant reality of their heart. There are 3 main characteristics of pride and 3 skills that we can develop to fight against it.
Arrogant people are aloof.
Develop the skill of bowing.
Arrogant people gloat over the misfortune of others.
Develop the skill of encouragement.
Arrogant people are cold-hearted as they work their way to the top.
Develop the skill of self-awareness.
The PLACE for PRIDEFUL People
Someone who lives their entire life selfishly will have a rude awakening when they die. They’ll receive what they have chosen in every decision of their earthly life. The fate of the prideful and the humble are completely opposite:
- Arrogant people will go to hell.
- Humble people will be exalted.
1. Is there such a thing as FALSE HUMILITY? Do you know of people who act like they are humble, and yet because of their actions they are clearly self-righteous?
2. Read the promise of 2 Chronicles 7:14. Humility prays, seeks the face of God and turns away from sin. Discuss these three components of humility and why they are such a powerful combination.
3. Read Micah 6:8. What does it mean to walk humbly with God? Give some real life examples of walking humbly with the Creator.
4. Psalm 25:8-9. Have you ever missed God’s guidance because you were arrogantly listening to your own heart? What does it take to fully listen to God when He seeks to guide us?
Applying the Bible
5. How can you be confident and humble at the same time? Has the church gotten it wrong when it comes to what true humility is and is not? What can you do this week to show God and yourself that you are confident in your gifts, physical appearance and position in life and yet you handle it all with true humility?
6. How self-aware are you? Decide this week that you will internally inspect your heart’s motives in whatever you say and do. Beware: this could change you for the better!
7. If you have become critical in your daily routine, focus on encouraging others. Do you have certain people in mind that you want to put courage in this week?