PEACE “in Christ”
The SOURCE of PEACE
“Jesus is our peace” (Ephesians 2:14). Often, when trying to solve conflict, we start with the other person and blame them for the trouble. We think that fixing someone else will bring harmony back into our life. But if we want peace, we must start elsewhere.
- The secret of finding peace is a person (Jesus Christ).
BECOMING a PEACEMAKER
“Jesus made peace” (Ephesians 2:15). Once you find peace in Jesus, then you are ready to become a peacemaker. Jesus did three things to bring peace to the Jews and Gentiles. We can learn from Him.
- Take down the wall of self-righteousness.
- Watch God create a new and unified relationship.
- Reconcile at the cross, where all sin is equal.
PREACHING the WAY of PEACE
“Jesus preached peace” (Ephesians 2:17). If you have found peace (Jesus Christ), then you must proclaim this truth to others:
- Everyone has access to God.
Personal and Group Study
1. How can you find peace within your heart when someone does not want to reconcile with you? Have you ever experienced this? Does Romans 12:18-21 teach us how to “overcome” when others are not willing to resolve conflict?
2. Read about Jesus’ interactions with the Pharisees (Matthew 12:38-42; 16:1-4; 19:3-9; 22:15-22). Why was their relationship so contentious? Discuss the self-righteous wall that the Pharisees put up in their life. Read Jesus’ interaction with “the sinners” that prove how He was able to tear down every wall to show love (Luke 19:1-10; John 8:1-11).
3. Read about the different characteristics about peace (Romans 5:1; 14:19; 1 Thessalonians 5:23; Colossians 1:19-20; Philippians 4:4-7; Galatians 5:22; Matthew 5:9; 2 Corinthians 13:11; Proverbs 17:1). Which of these passages about peace is speaking to you in a new way?
Applying the Bible
4. Do you have peace with God? If not, what must you do in order to make things right with God? Do you need to confess a sin and repent from it? Do you need to pursue God instead of drifting away from Him?
5. Have you created a wall in your life that has become a barrier to peace with someone else? What specific action can you take this week to break down the wall of hostility?
6. Do you need to spend some time at the cross this week? Humble yourself before the Lord as you realize that you are on the same level as all sinners. All of us need a savior equally.