The story of Esther (Esther 1-10)
What is the Holy Spirit saying to you?
1. What do you most appreciate about the story of Esther?
2. Discuss why Haman hated the Jews so much. God told the Israelites to destroy the Amalekites, and King Agage was an Amalekite and it appears that Haman was an Agagite (Deuteronomy 25:19; 1 Samuel 15:1-33)? Also, discuss why Hitler hated the Jews.
3. What does the Bible say about true beauty (1 Peter 3:3-4; Ezekiel 28:17-18; Matthew 23:28; Proverbs 31:30; 1 Samuel 16:7)? How much time do you spend on your outward beauty? How much time do you spend on your inner beauty? Why do you think some of the most beautiful people on the planet can sometimes be the most shallow? Do you think it is because they have always been judged by their looks and that is what has guided them through life?
4. What does the Bible say about sowing and reaping (Galatians 6:7-9; James 3:18; Hosea 10:12-13; Mt. 13:3-23; Psalm 126:5-6; 2 Cor. 9:6- 11)? What are some of the most important things that you can sow? What are some of the most destructive things that many people sow?
Applying the Bible
5. If you are outwardly beautiful, what can you do this week to make sure you are developing your inner beauty? If you are insecure about your outward looks, what can you do this week to be content with the way God has made you?
6. Do you need the strength to accomplish something in the near future? Has God laid something on your heart that needs to be done? Do you have a Mordecai who can instill within you the courage to do it?