WHO is in CONTROL?
Sometimes, life becomes unpredictable, chaotic, scary, and we feel out of control. In those moments, we must remember this foundational truth about our sovereign God:
- God controls the power of life and death.
WHY should I TRUST God?
When we find ourselves in a desperate situation, it can be hard to trust God. But in those moments, we must remind ourselves:
- We can trust Jesus because He is good and great.
- Trying to control shows a lack of trust
in God’s goodness-greatness.
- What seems good TO me isn’t necessarily good FOR me.
How can I TRUST God?
It is one thing to say that we trust God, but then it is another to actually take a step and demonstrate that truly believe that God knows what is best for you. What will you release to God’s care?
- God, I release control of ________________________ to you.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Share about a time when you felt like your life was completely out of control. How did you handle it? Were you a Christian at the time? How much did you worry? Were you anxious? If it happened to you again, how would you handle it knowing what you know now?
2. Read these six stories about demon possession (Matthew 9:32-33; 12:22-23; 15:21-28; Luke 4:33-37; 8:26-39; Acts 19:13-16). Discuss how much control the demons had over these individuals and how much they were tormented.
3. Read the following Bible verses about God’s goodness (1 Timothy 4:4; Psalm 145:9; 100:5; James 1:17). Do you view God as good? Do you see that every thing you have been given has been a good gift? Have you demonstrated a thankful heart to God lately?
4. How can we still plan for the future and yet at the same time trust that God will direct our steps (Proverbs 16:9)?
Applying the Word to Life
5. What will you release to God this week? What are you trying to control? This might be a daily act of obedience where you are consistently giving back to God what you keep taking back.
6. Take time this week to thank God for the good that is in your life. Ask God to forgive you for focusing on the negative when life is not turning out the way you wanted it to turn out. Go through old pictures and remember how far God has brought you and be grateful for all the wonderful memories He has given to you.