Lie #8: Purity is Not Practical in Relationships
IS PURITY POSSIBLE IN RELATIONSHIPS?
An alarming amount of Christians are living together, having one-night stands, jumping from partner to partner. With this activity has come STDs, fractured families, and life-long guilt. This just cannot be God’s plan for His people. What does it mean to live a life of purity? This morning we will search God’s word to find the answer.
GOD’S PLAN FOR SEX
- Sexual Intimacy is a sacred gift from God to be celebrated in marriage
A STRATEGY FOR WINNING THE PURITY WAR
- Adopt God’s standards for your sexuality
- Don’t excuse, minimize, or rationalize sin
- Live to please the Lord
A FRESH START
- There is no sin beyond the reach of the blood of Jesus
Personal and Group Study
1. How have you experienced the negative effects of porneia” (adultery, pornography, pre-marital sex, homosexuality, rape, incest, etc.) in your life and family? In what ways have you seen redemption/reconciliation take place?
2. The Bible is full of stories about the negative impact of sexual im morality. Read the following stories as examples: Noah (Genesis 6), Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18 & 19), Dinah (Genesis 34), Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38) Samson and Delilah (Judges 16), David and Bathsheba (II Samuel 11). What were the results of sexual sin in these stories?
3. The Bible is also full of stories about the blessing of sexual purity. Joseph is one great example. Read Genesis 39 as a group. How was Joseph rewarded for honoring God?
Applying the Word to Life
4. For teens and adults, sexual gratification comes from three places: the eyes, the mind, and the body. Therefore, as in any war, you must blockade the “shipping lanes” of the eyes and mind that drive you toward sexual sin and that keep your enemy strong. Share some examples of how you can build a line of defense with your eyes, mind, and heart!
5. Of the three lines of defense you need, name the one that is the strongest at this time in your life. Which is the weakest?
6. Close your time by praying for each other as you pursue a life of purity.