Lie #7: My Body, My Choice
GOD’S VIEW of ABORTION
Even though Psalm 139:1-16 could apply to many different areas of our lives, when applied to the present day evil of abortion, this psalm becomes one of the most beautiful demonstrations of the preciousness of human life before birth. This psalm even helps those who are thinking about an abortion and gives hope to those who have had an abortion. Five truths surface from this psalm.
- When our view submits to God’s view we’ll see a blessing.
- [Psalm 139:1-6]
- God’s presence surrounds us even in our darkest hour.
- [Psalm 139:7-12]
- God designed us with reverence and uniqueness.
- [Psalm 139:13-14]
- God witnessed our secret formation in the womb.
- [Psalm 139:15]
- God decided our existence before creation.
- [Psalm 139:16]
Personal and Group Study
1. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me” (Matthew 19:14). What is your response to the evil of abortion? As a Christ-follower, how will you be part of the solution?
2. Study how the Israelites would sacrifice their children to Molech and other gods (Leviticus 18:21; Deuteronomy 12:31; 2 Kings 3:27; 16:3; 21:16; 2 Chronicles 28:3; Jeremiah 19:5; Ezekiel 16:20-21). What are the similarities to abortion?
3. Those who believe in the sanctity of life hold the conviction that every person, from conception to natural death, possesses inherent dignity and immeasurable worth. This includes preborn children, the elderly, special needs people, and anyone else who is marginalized by society. Why is this belief so important in our society today?
4. Compare the U.S. laws of abortion with Exodus 21:22-25.
Applying the Bible
5. How can we practice what we preach? Support a pregnancy resource center with finances or by volunteering; adopt a child; foster a child; pray for the abortion doctors; reach out to them and share the gospel; speak out to expose the lies about planned parenthood; lovingly support a young mom/dad.
6. God wants us to grow in knowledge and grace. Watch “180” to develop the tools to help bring truth to the abortion delusion. Watch “Gosnell” to understand the callused nature of those performing abortions. Watch “Unplanned” to be moved by a former Planned Parenthood clinic director who changed her convictions because of what she witnessed.