Letting God Lead
Misplacing your PRIORITIES
The main reason so many people live with the wrong priorities for decades and eventually die without truly living for God:
You make rational excuses.
Rearranging your PRIORITIES
What needs to happen if you are to develop the right priorities in your life?
- Do an inventory of your life.
- Obey God’s voice.
- Believe the promise of His presence.
The HOLY SPIRIT and PRIORITIES
What will it take to break free from the pursuit of self-motivated goals and to redirect your priorities to that which honors God?
God, stir up my spirit!
1. Do you know anyone who makes excuses about when they will get serious about following God? What are some of the excuses he or she makes? Have you ever made excuses to others (or even to God) about when you will rearrange the priorities in your life?
2. What does the Bible say about priorities (Matthew 6:19; 6:24; 6:33; 2 Cor. 5:9; Phil. 1:21; 3:13- 14; Col. 1:10; Exodus 20:3-5; Deut. 6:5; Matt. 22:37-38; John 14:15; Romans 12:2; 2 Timothy 2:22; Luke 22:27)?
3. Read Luke 10:38-42. Who had the right priorities? Mary or Martha? Which lady can you relate to most and what can you learn from Jesus’ words here in this story?
4. Read Ecclesiastes 12:1-8. Why do you think it is so important to make God a priority when you are still young? If you forget about God when you are young, what might happen as you age?
Applying the Bible
5. How can you discern between a “season” in your life and a “permanent rut” in your life? With a season, there is a definite end, but with a rut, there is no end in sight. Do you have someone you trust who can tell you the truth about your priorities?
6. When is the last time you have taken an inventory of your life? Why does it seem like it sometimes takes a tragedy for God to get our attention about what is truly important?
7. What can you do this week to show God that He is a priority in your life? What step can you take to make sure that Jesus Christ is at the center of all that you do?