How to NOT KNOW GOD
Satan has a strategy to prevent people from experiencing true salvation. Sadly, he convinces many different people that they need to work for God’s approval. We must beware of two types of individuals who try to persuade us to rely on our own flesh.
False teachers influence you to work towards God.
Ego convinces you that God is proud of your works.
How to KNOW GOD
There are three action words (not steps) you must realize if you want to grow in your relationship with Jesus Christ. As you learn the significance of these three words and what they represent in your walk with God, the closer you will get to the God of the universe. Do these words describe you?
- Kneel down to God in surrender.
- Jump out to God in faith.
- Run to God when you suffer.
There is a difference between knowing about God and knowing God. When you truly know God, you listen to Him, you walk with Him, and you rest in Him.
1. Have you ever struggled with trying to prove yourself to God? What are some ways you have strived to earn God’s approval? What should be the foundation of your righteousness? Do you still struggle with working towards righteousness?
2. What does it mean to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18; 1:2)? Here is one example: “If you do not love you don’t know God” (1 John 4:8).
3. What are some ways we can assess whether or not we know God (1 John 2:3-4; John 10:14; Ephesians 4:13; 2 Peter 1:8)?
4. When you grow in your knowledge of God, it seems to produce a godly wisdom (Ephesians 1:17; Colossians 1:9; 2:2; Proverbs 2:1-6; 2 Corinthians 10:5). Since God is the source of wisdom, it is important to approach Him every time we need clarity. Share about an experience you have had asking God for wisdom and He answered you with absolute clarity.
Applying the Bible
5. When you find yourself in the midst of a trial, do you run away from God or to God? Practice going to God for everything in your life. Then, when you experience suffering, it will be natural for you to find a refuge in Jesus Christ.
6. Do you need to exhibit more faith? Is God prodding you to jump out and do something for His purpose? If so, then why are you holding back? Share this with someone so that you are accountable to following God even when you can’t see the end of the tunnel.