HOW Jesus ELEVATED Women
During Jesus’ day, women were often considered second rate citizens. But Jesus honored and respected women in a new way. He showed everyone that women were equal to men in God’s sight.
- Women were the first witnesses to the resurrection,
even though a woman’s testimony was worthless.
- Women were allowed to personally follow Jesus,
even though a woman’s spirituality was marginalized.
- Women were taught Scripture by Jesus,
even though learning was normally restricted to men.
The CHARACTER of a GODLY Woman
Within the story of Jesus, there is a subplot which shows us why women are to be valued. If you look closely at how the women interacted with Jesus, you will see two main traits which describe every woman who desires to follow God (In fact, Jesus saw redemptive potential in every woman He interacted with).
- Godly women are faithfully loyal.
- Godly women are spiritually sensitive.
1. Why do you think women have been considered second rate citizens for centuries? Why do you think many Christians are ignorant Jesus’ example of honoring and elevating women?
2. Read Galatians 3:28. What does it mean that within the church we are all one in Christ?
3. Read Proverbs 31:29. Do you have this view of the women in your life? Do you build up your mom? Do you encourage your wife? Do you show your daughters how much you value them? Does your mindset need to change? Have you been too hard on a particular female in your life, diminishing her role instead of inspiring her to be amazing?
4. Jesus defended the woman caught in adultery (John 8); interacted with the Gentile woman whose daughter was demon possessed (Mt. 15); ministered to the Samaritan woman (John 4); healed a crippled woman (Luke 13); raised a dead girl to life (Mark 5); healed the woman who was bleeding for 12 years (Luke 8). Jesus showed value to women who had no political power, economic status, or religious freedom. Discuss how much God values and loves you.
Applying the Bible
5. One of the greatest battles in our world right now is child sex trafficking. Almost all of these victims are young girls. What will you do to bring value to these young girls? Visit www.destinyrescue.org to find out how you can help.
6. What specific thing will you do this week to honor the women in your life? How will you lift them up to where they belong?