How can I hear God?
God seems DISTANT (Psalm 13:1-2)
There are times God seems far away. You pray, but God doesn’t answer. You read the Bible, but it doesn’t move you. You want to hear God, but He is hiding. What is a fundamental idea to keep in mind when you want to hear God’s voice and yet He seems silent?
- Be honest with God about how you are feeling as you wait patiently in the wilderness.
CALLING on God for ANSWERS (Psalm 13:3-4)
When David calls on God to answer him, we have no evidence that God actually answers. Eventually God does answer David because we read about it in 1 Samuel. As a Christian, we can specifically ask God to answer us with these three actions:
- Seek Jesus with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).
- Listen intently for Jesus’ voice (John 10:4).
- Read your Bible out loud (2 Timothy 3:16).
The Right MINDSET (Psalm 13:5-6)
As you are waiting for God to speak to you, what should be your attitude? What will demonstrate to God that you are listening?
- Lean on God’s loyal love.
- Sing about God’s goodness.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. Have you ever been in the wilderness with God? How do you get through those times when your relationship with God seems dry and distant? If you are in that place right now, will you be vulnerable with the group and share with them?
2. Read Isaiah 49:13-16. Discuss the emotions in this passage. Even though we might feel like God has forgotten about us, the reality is this: God has engraved us on the palms of His hands. What Scripture do you us as an anchor to remind yourself of God’s loyal love?
3. Read Matthew 17:1-8. In the Transfiguration, the Father said, “Listen to him [Jesus]” (v.5). This is a command to the apostles and ultimately to all of us. How do you make sure you are aware of the voice of Jesus every day?
4. Read Psalm 62:5-7. What does it mean that our soul waits in silence before God? When is the last time you have been silent before Him for an extended period of time? What does it mean that God is our rock, refuge, stronghold?
Applying the Word to Life
5. When you wake up, what is the first thing you do? What if it was to seek, listen, and read? If you would just silence yourself a few minutes each day, how would that change your ability to hear God speak to you? Make a commitment for the next 30 days to wake up with your mind set upon Christ.
6. If you are having a hard time concentrating when you are reading Scripture, then read the verses out loud. You are hearing the audible voice of God when you read the Bible. God is directly speaking to you.