Help from God
1 Samuel 7:2-17
If you want HELP, PURIFY your HEART
The Israelites had been running from God for 20 years and when they were ready to turn back to God, they exhibited five main characteristics that are important to God if one wants to experience spiritual transformation.
- Lament to God.
- Flee to God.
- Pour out your heart to God.
- Fast before God.
- Confess to God.
If you want HELP, FIND a “Prayer Warrior”
Just as Samuel cried out for God to help the Israelites, we all need someone in our life who will consistently intercede for us.
We all need a prayer warrior who battles for us.
When you are HELPED, MAKE an EBENEZER
Just as Samuel set up a stone and called it Ebenezer (“God helped us”), we all need to find ways to remember God’s goodness to us:
Create a marker in your life to remind you of God’s power.
1. Who is the prayer warrior in your life? Who intercedes for you when life gets difficult? Why
do you think there are certain people who have power in their prayer life?
2. Read Proverbs 28:13; Psalm 32:5; Romans 10:9; Leviticus 26:40-42. What are the different components of confession? What does confession bring to us as humans?
3. Read James 4:7-10. Discuss the similarities and differences between this passage and the one in 1 Samuel 7.
4. Can you pray this verse in Job 6:24? When is the last time you’ve been quiet long enough to ask God to show you where you’re wrong?
Applying the Bible
5. When is the last time you have poured out your heart to God? Do you need to sometime soon? Do you need to go before your Lord and confess something to Him and allow the Spirit to work in you? Are you open to weeping before God? Ask God to personally affect your heart in such a way that you cry your heart out to Him.
6. If you don’t have a prayer warrior in your life, then you need one. Seek out someone who will pray for you daily. Decide this week that you will be covered in prayer by someone who loves you.And decide to do this for someone else. Be a prayer warrior for someone!
7. Do you need to create a marker in your life that will remind you of God’s goodness? God doesn’t want you to make an idol, but He might want you to have an object that helps you remember Him.