Groaning of the Holy Spirit
Finding STRENGTH in WEAKNESS
Have you ever felt like you don’t have the energy to make it another month, another week, another day; but somehow you find the strength to keep going? Why are you able to continue in your journey?
The Holy Spirit strengthens you when you feel weak.
The GROANING of the HOLY SPIRIT
Many Christians do not know what the groaning of the Holy Spirit means. When the groaning of the Holy Spirit happens in your life, you experience these three things in this order:
You get to the end of yourself.
Your soul connects with God.
You patiently hope for God’s will.
1. Have you ever felt like you just don’t have the energy to make it through a difficult time? Share with the group a time in your life when you got to the end of your rope. How did you handle it? In your prayer life, did you experience the groaning of the Holy Spirit?
2. Read Job 17:15. Job felt hopeless during a major trial in his life. Can you relate to him? Discuss how you have been able to hold onto hope even when you are in despair. Look at Job’s life. Job might have felt hopeless, but he still came through the storm. How did he do it?
3.When we approach God, we are told to be silent before Him (Zephaniah 1:7). When is the last time you started off your prayer time with just silence? Why is silence before God so powerful?
4. Read John 16:23-24. There seems to be power in praying the name of Jesus. We are told that we will receive anything we ask as long as it is in Jesus’ name. Jesus’ name implies that we will ask only that which is God’s will. How do you get to a point where you genuinely seek God’s will and consistently pray only for God’s will?
Applying the Bible
5. This week in your prayer time, focus on getting to the end of yourself. Stop talking about things with God and just allow your soul to connect with God. This might seem odd at first, but it is a step we all must take if we are to grow in our relationship with God.
6. If you feel despair around you because you’re battling a weakness, practically show God that you’re patiently waiting for Him.