GRACE “in Christ”
From DEATH to LIFE
God saved us, not because of our goodness, but because of His goodness. The apostle Paul answers three “salvation” questions.
- WHY do we need SALVATION?
- Before salvation, everyone is spiritually dead.
- Satan controls the mind of unbelievers.
- Sinful nature feeds the cravings of unbelievers.
HOW can we experience SALVATION?
- Faith in Jesus Christ makes us spiritually alive.
- I am saved BECAUSE of God’s love.
- I am saved IN God’s mercy.
- I am saved BY God’s grace.
- I am saved IN God’s kindness.
WHAT is my purpose for SALVATION?
- We were created to do good works for Christ.
Personal and Group Study
1. Do you believe that you were spiritually dead before God saved you? If you grew up being a “good” person, you might have a harder time understanding your sin nature. Discuss the difference between your sin nature and committing a sin.
2. Read about God’s kindness (Romans 2:4; Titus 3:4-6; Psalm 36:7; 63:3; Isaiah 63:7). Discuss how God’s kindness leads us to repentance. It is not just the fear of God’s wrath, but His overwhelming kindness that draws us to Him.
3. Discuss the strategy of Satan: lies (John 8:44); blinds the minds of unbelievers (2 Cor. 4:4); disguises himself as good (2 Cor. 11:13-15); tempts (Matt. 4:1-11; Luke 22:3-6; 2 Cor. 11:3); snatches God’s word and cokes faith (Mark 4:1-9); causes sickness (Luke 13:16; 2 Cor. 12:7); hinders missionary efforts (1 Thess. 2:17-18); accuses Christians before God (Rev. 12:10). How can you hold fast to Jesus Christ to defeat the devil?
Applying the Bible
4. How can you focus on the love, mercy, grace, and kindness of God’s salvation for you? How can you be grateful for these attributes as the driving force of how God saved you? Then move from being grateful to showing the world love, mercy, grace, and kindness. What good work will you engage in that will demonstrate love, mercy, grace, and kindness?
5. What can you specifically do this week to resist Satan and your sinful nature? What does it mean for you be alive and not dead? Faith means trust. Do you need to give something up to God to free yourself from a selfish grip? In what area of your life do you need to trust God more than anything else?