Forgetting the Past
Are you in a “GOOD PLACE” in Life?
You are probably at one of three places in your life. Only one of these places results in a joyful life. If you find yourself in one of the first two places, then your goal is to leave. Your objective should be to find the place where you can look forward to God transforming you into who He wants you to become.
- Leaving the place of regret: Say goodbye to your past.
- Leaving the place of selfishness: Avoid momentary temptation in the present.
- Arriving at the correct destination: Focus on your eternal future.
How can you stand firm in the Lord?
Give your past to God, and He will replace it with a crown.
1. Is there an area of your life where you live in the past? Do you allow yourself to remain in a prison of sin? Are you holding onto bitterness or resentment because of something that has happened in your past? If you have broken free from something in your past, maybe you can share with the group how God helped restore you.
2. Read Romans 8:5. There is a difference between living “in the flesh” versus “living in the Spirit” for a Christian. What does it mean to walk according to the guidance of the Holy Spirit? What is the focus of someone who is led by the Holy Spirit?
3. What will eternal life be like? It includes: knowing God (John 17:3); shining righteousness (Daniel 12:3); receive a crown of glory (1 Peter 5:4); no suffering (Revelation 21:4; Isaiah 25:8); never die (John 11:25-26); abundant life (John 10:10); newness of life (Romans 6:4). Discuss what each of these truths teach us about heaven.
4. What does the Bible say about leaving the past behind (2 Cor. 5:17; Isaiah 65:16; 43:18; Colossians 1:13-14)? Discuss how important it is to God for His children to focus on their future instead of their past.
Applying the Bible
5. What steps can you take this week to focus on your future instead of being stuck in your past or instead of selfishly living for the present? How can you open your heart up for God to transform you into the person He desires? Do something to ignite a heavenly mindset!
6. Do you live as if your citizenship is in heaven? Does your giving, use of time and priorities reflect your believe in an eternal home?