Food for the Table
We’re born, and we die - it’s what we do between the dots that matter.
- The way we see the world.
2 Kings 4 (NIV)
- 38 Elisha returned to Gilgal and there was a famine in that region. While the company of the prophets was meeting with him, he said to his servant, “Put on the large pot and cook some stew for these prophets.”
- Food was hard to find. It can be assumed the men were hungry. Elisha, a man of God, offered them a large pot of sustenance.
- 39 One of them went out into the fields to gather herbs and found a wild vine and picked as many of its gourds as his garment could hold. When he returned, he cut them up into the pot of stew, though no one knew what they were.
- Despite the famine there were things available to be eaten - enough that the person’s garment was full. But what the substance was, or if it were healthy, no one knew.
- 40 The stew was poured out for the men, but as they began to eat it, they cried out, “Man of God, there is death in the pot!” And they could not eat it.
- The prophets knew the difference between life and death. This was death - they refused to participate.
- 41 Elisha said, “Get some flour.” He put it into the pot and said, “Serve it to the people to eat.” And there was nothing harmful in the pot.
- Elisha, a man of God, also knew the difference between life and death and knew that the flour would take that which was poison and make it harmless.
What can we learn about this table? Not everything that’s available is good.
1 Corinthians 10:23 (NIV)
- “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.
- What you feed grows, what you starve dies.
- Feed - to provide or acquire (GROWTH)
- Starve - to decrease or deprive (DEATH)
- What motivates us most when making our everyday choices?
KINGDOM OF ME VS KINGDOM OF GOD
John 10:10 (NIV)
- 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Text the word MORE to the number 494949 for additional challenges